Here’s a quick-hit list of weekly highlights from the vast array of NFL content we publish on TeamRankings. We’ll also share some predictions and picks for Week 12 and beyond.
Our NFL Week 12 contest is open! Total prize pool $2,249. Claim your spot now.
NFL Week 12 Power Rankings Update
- What a difference a week makes. Denver’s unexpected 15-point loss to St. Louis coupled with New England’s 22-point win over Indianapolis has altered the balance of power at the top of our Predictive ratings. New England had been gaining in recent weeks, but now it’s a virtual dead heat for the top ranking, with the #1 Broncos leading the #2 Patriots by only 0.2 points.
- Four teams separated from the pack. After another blowout win, against a good team this time, #3 Green Bay (the top gainer in our ratings in Week 11) is now only a point behind New England, and #4 Seattle is about a point behind the Packers. So we’ve got a clear cluster of four teams at the top of the NFL ratings right now, and it consists of Denver, New England, Green Bay, and Seattle.
Here’s a quick-hit list of weekly highlights from the vast array of NFL content we publish on TeamRankings. We’ll also share some predictions and picks for Week 11 and beyond.
Our NFL Week 11 contest is open! Total prize pool $2,249. Claim your spot now.
NFL Week 11 Power Rankings Update
- Denver back to form. After returning to form by crushing Oakland, Denver retains its position as the clear #1 team in the NFL, 2.5 points better than #2 New England in our Predictive Ratings.
- Humdrum week overall. There wasn’t much huge movement in the rankings based on Week 10 action. Green Bay was the biggest winner ratings-wise, climbing one spot to #4 and increasing its rating by 1.4 points after destroying Chicago. Our ratings have been relatively high on Green Bay all year, but they still tail #3 Seattle by a little more than half a point, after a strong Seahawks result too (38-17 over the Giants).
Wednesday afternoon we published our initial 2014-2015 college basketball preseason ratings, which means we now have full preseason projections for all teams, including:
- College Basketball Projected Conference Standings. Projected conference records and full regular season records, plus win odds for both the conference regular season title and the postseason tournament.
- Bracketology Projections. Odds to make the NCAA tournament, plus projected seeding, and lots more details. (One of our faves is the Bracketology By Conference page.)
- NCAA Tournament Bracket Predictions. Round by round advancement odds, including probability of a team making the Sweet 16, making the Final Four, or winning the championship
This is all data-driven, and automated, so it will update every day throughout the season.
Below you’ll find our full conference standings projections, along with projected regular season records, and each team’s odds of winning their conference regular season and conference tournament.
In the wee hours Wednesday morning, we finished crunching the numbers, and loaded our official preseason team ratings for the 2014-2015 college basketball season into our database. These are the ratings that drive our preseason projections, and serve as the Bayesian priors for our predictive ratings as the season progresses.
(Translation: our preseason ratings still impact our team ratings even months into the season, because that has shown to be more predictive than not.)
Below you’ll find a preseason top 25 comparison between TeamRankings, Ken Pomeroy, the AP poll, and more. We’ve also posted the full rankings and ratings for all 351 Division I teams.
Here’s a quick-hit list of weekly highlights from the vast array of NFL content we publish on TeamRankings. We’ll also share some predictions and picks for Week 10 and beyond.
Our NFL Week 10 contest is open! Total prize pool $2,249. Claim your spot now.
NFL Week 10 Power Rankings Update
- Denver still on top. Denver still rates as a decently better team (by 1.8 points on a neutral field) than New England in our Predictive ratings, and retains the #1 ranking. One game does not a season make.
- But the Broncos took a big hit. Still, the loss in Foxboro was a bruiser for the Broncos’ Predictive rating, which suffered the second biggest decline of any team this week (-1.3 points). However, Denver was rated far enough ahead of any other team in the rankings coming into Week 9 that the Patriots still didn’t leapfrog them.
Here’s a quick-hit list of weekly highlights from the vast array of NFL content we publish on TeamRankings. We’ll also share some predictions and picks for Week 9 and beyond.
Our NFL Week 9 contest is open! Total prize pool $2,249. Claim your spot now.
NFL Week 9 Power Rankings Update
- Denver pulls further ahead. Denver slightly increased the gap between its league-leading power rating and the rest of the NFL by beating San Diego by 14, a margin of victory about five points more than expected.
- Preseason ratings value. In general, Week 8 was another good one for demonstrating the value of preseason ratings, which still influence our system. New Orleans, a team that we still had ranked #14 despite a 2-4 record, beat Green Bay handily. Meanwhile, Dallas, who still hadn’t cracked the top 10 despite a 6-1 record, lost to Washington in OT despite being 10-point favorites.
This is the ninth installment in David’s diary about playing one-day fantasy football for the first time. All other posts are listed in this blog section.
My new big tournament strategy of simply entering stacks against the worst defenses paid off again in Week 8.
There was no third-place finish in a huge tournament, but I did snag a 25x payout with one stack, which accounted for most of my profit for the week.
Week 8 Results Recap
- Initial Bankroll: $250
- Bankroll Entering Week 8: $457.20
With the NBA season kicking off Tuesday, here is our annual post outlining our NBA preseason ratings, with season projections added for good measure, for every NBA team in 2014-15. Below the data table is more information on how we rank and project teams.
Preseason NBA Rankings Highlights
When we make comparisons to “Vegas” below, we are comparing where a team ranks in our NBA championship probabilities with where they rank in the futures odds listed at Vegas Insider. Note that we are NOT comparing our probabilities with the payout odds, in order to find value. We are comparing the rankings, in order to illuminate which teams are ranked higher or lower than expected.
- Agreement with Vegas regarding top teams. There is close agreement between us and Vegas on the five teams most likely to win the NBA title. We both project Cleveland as the most likely, followed by San Antonio, then Oklahoma City. We then have the Clippers 4th and the Bulls 5th, while Vegas has those two teams reversed.
This is the eighth installment in David’s diary about playing one-day fantasy football for the first time. All other posts are listed in this blog section.
I’ve been entering a handful of lineups in large tournaments each week, hoping for a big payday. This week, I finally got one.
I entered eight lineups in a $1 entry, 4,597-person tournament: my two top head-to-head lineups, plus six 3-player stacks on six different teams. One of those stacks hit gloriously, and I ended up finishing in 3rd place, good for a $150 payday.
Not bad for a $1 entry fee.
OK, really $8 in fees, but who’s counting?
Oh right, I am.
Here’s a rapid-fire list of weekly highlights from the vast array of NFL content we publish on TeamRankings. We’ll also share some predictions and picks for Week 8 and beyond.
Our NFL Week 8 contest is open! Total prize pool $2,249. Claim your spot now.
NFL Week 8 Power Rankings Update
- Surprise surprise, Denver is king. It doesn’t take fancy math to figure out that Denver is currently the undisputed best team in the NFL. The Broncos’ blowout of previously #3 San Francisco, coupled with a bad loss by Seattle, means that Denver is now almost three points better than any other team in the NFL in our Predictive ratings.